Monday, September 17, 2007

Back from the Coast

Today is our first day back in classes in Nairobi after our 9 day trip to the coast. The change of pace from mostly 'experiential learning' to classroom sessions is a bit of a shock- I'm not sure I'm ready to go back to having homework!

In brief, our itinerary at the coast consisted of
a 10 hour bus drive to the coast. The scenery was mildly interesting, but probably not worth the horrible roads.
A one night and morning stay in Mombasa: basically just long enough to go to the cloth market and buy ourselves kangas- the printed pieces of fabric worn as skirts and head/shoulder coverings.
A visit to a Islamic religious college (madrasa), and a farming homestead where 3 generations (~40-50 people) lived together and farmed their 10 acres.
An overnight stay in Malindi, unfortunately in the most touristy section of town, and a visit to the ruins of the 14th-17th century stone swahili town of Gede
And then 5 days in Lamu, an island city farther north up the Kenyan coast. Lamu was amazing. Except for the various upset stomachs that we all seemed to get while there, I wouldn't have minded staying there the whole nine days.
I've got to get back to class now, but I'll write more about Lamu tomorrow.


A note about pictures: because of limited time on the internet, I'm not going to be posting any of my pictures until I return to the States. Then you'll get a whole bunch at once, probably broken up into the different components of the trip.

No comments: